Jun 9, 2009

Egg Retreival

After is no picnic!!! But lets start at the beginning. Got to the clinic for 7 am and went to the triage area. Changed into my lovely gown spoke with the nurse. The nurse was wonderful and kind and beacause I was the only EPU I had her full attention. I did the pre-op medical questionnaire and blood pressure then had my iv put in. This is all no biggie. Soon after the nurse too Mark to "provide his sample" and in true super hero fashion he was done in record time. The nice surprise was that Mark was invited to come into the op room to support me. Next the nurse took me to pee and then we were off to the OR. Such a lovely bed awaited me with beautiful stirrups ready to go. Got settled in and then we decided what music to listen too..and at this point music was the last thing I cared about. Next the fun began as the doctor gave me a nice dose of narcotics thru my IV. Ahh..I love being a bubble head, love it. Mark is sitting right beside me looking like a doctor with all his protective gear on. After the speculum is inserted I get cleaned and numbed and then the doctor starts breaking into each follicle as we watch this on the screen. during this the nurses are continually running test tubes of follicle juices to the lab. Because I had so many they had to go back and forth back and forth. The whole process was about 1/2 an hour and the end result was 18 eggs!!!
I feared being awake for this but now an happy I got to see it all. Once I proved I could pee we were allowed to come home. Then the fun began!!! Once the narcotics wore off I was in pure pain. I am swollen from crotch to breast bone! Moving is painful, almost to the point of tears! Not at all what I had expected. Mark calls the doc and they talk about it and recommends rest rest and more rest along with loads of Advil. The Advil has helped take the edge off and this morning the swelling has lessened somewhat. I am up now to have my coffee and see whats going on then I will go back to my heating pad and Advil and work from home, in bed. In a way I am thankful we did this here at home, especially since it was my first time. The comfort of home is amazingly necessary right now. My Marky is a champ and has taken extremely good care of me ~ he made sure I ate, drank and was as comfortable as I could be. He put up with my few outbursts of pain and weathered my storm. He is the best and is one step closer to being the best daddy ever.
Now we wait to hear the fertilization numbers and then book our flight and hotel. Finally we are here, exactly where we are supposed to be.

7 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that you're feeling a tad better this morning. And you're still a chook - 18 eggs is great. Lets hope for a minimum of 10 embryos heading to the freezer shortly. Are they letting them conceive the "natural way" or is ICSI being performed?


    Lisa B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natual all the way! We are fortunate that fertility is not an issue so there is no need for ICSI. I feel like a chicken for sure! Cluck cluck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerrie, awesome numbers! I can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab news! Am so thrilled that it all went well! Here's to a positive outcome and lots of thrilling news!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great News! Can't wait to hear more. Prayers for Positive...

    ReplyDelete
  6. No pain...no gain! Isn't that what they say? So sorry you are hurting what we girls do to our bodies for our dreams come true. Feel better soon dear. Thrilled for you with your 18 eggs! Good job, Mama hen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wonderful news, Kerrie! This is getting way too exciting.

    it's surprising how uickly 6 weeks goes. You'll be there in no time at all.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Say it loud and say it proud, we are listening (reading)