Jul 7, 2009

D-dimer

I spent the bulk of yesterday in emergency. Since egg retrieval I have not been feeling great and last week I started getting weird stuff happening. My feet go numb and cold and my hands tingle. A few days after this started I got some pretty intense and weird calf pain. The pain has complimentary issues like stinging and zinging in my legs and unusual sensations. Dr M sent me to emerg to have this checked out as he fear DVT - thrombosis - blood clots. He also said if this is found there will be no flying for me in the near future. So of course I went into a PANIC!! Here we are 3 weeks away from going and it could all come to a hault.
So I got myself settled in at hospital and the doctor ordered a D-dimer test and other tests to screen for clotting. After a few hours the results we in an I show no signs of clotting based on the screening results. As this is some relief to me I still have the leg stuff going on. The doctor at emerg felt it could be a side effect of the drugs or a hormonal thing as my body gets back to normal or a viral infection that is causing this weird stuff. The hospital gave me all the test results and I sent these off to Dr M last night for a second opinion, and one that understands my health history.
So today I am off to work and waiting for Dr M to give me his opinion.
Why is nothing easy! Sheesh! I imagine now flying for 19 hours with these legs!! Hopefully this is a temporary thing and will ease off in the next three weeks. Considering I am an autoimmune poster child I am not optimistic that this will go away quickly.



D-dimer tests are ordered, along with other laboratory tests and imaging scans, to help rule out, diagnose, and monitor diseases and conditions that cause hypercoagulability, a tendency to clot inappropriately. One of the most common of these conditions is DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis), which involves clot formation in the deep veins of the body, most frequently in the legs. These clots may grow very large and block blood flow in the legs, causing swelling, pain, and tissue damage. It is possible for a piece of the clot to break off (this broken piece is called an embolus) and travel to other parts of the body, where the clot can cause a PE (Pulmonary embolus or embolism - blood clot in the lungs).

7 comments:

  1. Gosh, Kerrie, this is ridiculous!!! I hope and pray that you figure out what is going on, are able to fly without pain, and can actually RELAX while in India. I am counting on seeing you there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerrie,
    I'll be praying night and day that all these symptoms go away. Love, Gege

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree fully with Gege, but I'd be getting some compression socks/stockings to wear as well just in case!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you feel well again soon! I agree with Tigerlilycat 'bout wearing compression socks just in case.
    Chase these doctors to be sure you're all okay to go!
    Sending good thoughts your way

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well all I can say is total BUMMER! You have been through WAY too much my dear. I am hoping a praying this is just another tiny bump in the road and we will be follow your trip to Mumbai very, very soon,

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you poor thing! Why can nothing ever run smoothly? Hopefully this means you'll have a completely boring pregnancy because you're dealing with all this crap beforehand.

    My thoughts are with you, gorgeous girl. Hope you feel more like yourself soon.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Went to the dr today and got a script for compression socks..yah......
    Any one think this could be a delayed side affect of SuperFact?

    ReplyDelete

Say it loud and say it proud, we are listening (reading)