Jan 12, 2012

24 hours of insanity

Caused by gas...reflux...colic...who knows but poor Cailyn has had a rough 24 hours.  We have tried everything to calm her and take away her pain.  Finally, out of pure exhaustion and concern we got her into a rush appointment at the doctor who said she is fine, maybe needs some Zantac but lets wait til tomorrow to see if this is still continuing.  In the meantime, we have moved to a new formula, continuing probotics and praying that this resolves as quickly as it came on.    My poor sister came over today to give me a mental break, so I decided to head out and get some formula with Mark (who managed to come home early)  Shortly after leaving my sister called and was dealing with a poor screaming baby.  We paid for our purchase and raced home, called the doctor and booted out the door.  Cailyn had always spit up but this has progressed quickly into a not so good situation. Today was the first time I had a mini melt down as I could not help her, no matter what I tried...nothing worked.   And, coincidentally, a new blog on The Next Family went up today that gave me a sense of kinship, and also put into perspective that it could be worse.  Read about Tanya's experience here: http://thenextfamily.com/2012/01/baby-has-bad-acid-refulx/comment-page-1/#comment-67232
Tonight as I write this Cailyn is soundly sleeping, more than likely exhausted from the last day of pain and crying.  It is awful to be a parent and not be able to fix what is wrong..immediately.  Sadly with reflux or colic it becomes a trial and error scenario that takes time to figure out.  Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for all of us! 

7 comments:

  1. So sorry you are suffering as well with Cailyn. There is a formula, very expensive called Neocate which was the only one that worked for my granddaughter (their insurance paid) plus meds. She is now 5 and other than bowel issues (slow emptying) she is healthy. Also went back to dairy and corn and now is just not eating gluten. Poor Mommy, Daddy and Cailyn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Cailyn and mommy! Sorry to hear this isn't getting any better. It sucks to hold a crying baby knowing she is in pain. I haven't started the probiotics on Rooney, but they are in my amazon cart. This week has been better for us. She is taking prevacid, drinks Similac RS (which is lactose free and thickened with rice starch) and we keep her upright 60-90 minutes after every feeding and I no longer burp her, but rather let the gas sort it's self out. If she cries during that time there is almost immediate vomitting, ugh keeping her calm can be quite the ordeal. Best of luck momma and remember it's temporary:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this sounds awful--at least Cailyn won't remember it! Sorry you've had such a rough day. I wish I was closer and could come help you out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully today was a better day. Orion was like this for an afternoon not too long ago and my mom found out that teething can also contribute to upset tummies. I think Orion will be getting a tooth any day now; the drool factor has increased by 1000 and now he's putting any toy we put in his hands into his mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry you are going through this. It wont last for ever but it sure is tough! We tried Zantac, Prepulsid, thickened formula and it sadly didn't help but my son had reflux from much earlier on so hopefully Cailyns wont last long. It's tough not to be able to relieve their pain but he dosn;'t remember a thing and is a happy and healthy boy now. It will get better!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I am so sorry she is having such a rough weekend. I hope the new formula helps to take the edge off so you can all get back on track. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete

Say it loud and say it proud, we are listening (reading)